If you need to upgrade your node software to V2 please read the following information first:
1. Cancel/destroy instances currently running on Vultr or other VPS providers. We find the upgrade process works best if you start from Step 4 of these set up instructions.
2. Follow the instructions below using the new bash command provided to set up your servers again in order to run V2 node software.
Vultr VPS Setup
- Navigate to vultr.com.
- Create Vultr Account & Login
- Put in your credit card information. Check the box to link your card
- Click on + Deploy New Server
- Choose Server - Cloud Compute
- CPU & Storage Technology - choose "intel Regular Performance"
- Server Location - Choose server closest to you
- Server Image- Debian (make sure the 11X64 version is selected) Older versions will not work.
- Server Size - 25 GB
- Add Auto Backups - toggle off
- Additional Features - none (most add no benefit to this tech, some will keep the node from working properly). Make sure all boxes are unchecked
- Name your node(s) and select "Deploy Now" from the footer:
- On the "Products" page you will see the different server instances you have started. You will need to wait until it says "Running" under the "Status" column.
- Click on the server's name (the name you chose during setup), and it will take you to the server Home Screen.
- On this page find the username and password - these will be needed later. The username be default is "root." Copy the password by clicking the icon next to the hidden phrase.
- To open the console, click the computer icon in the top right of the page.
- The console will display one of two things:
- A long list of words. If you encounter this press Enter and the system will ask for you to log in.
- A prompt to log in.
- To log in enter "root" as the username and press Enter. For the password: there is a small gray button with an arrow on the left side of the terminal. Click this button and the system will display a list of icons. Click on the clipboard icon and paste the password you copied earlier into the text box that appears. Click the "paste" button that appeared with the text box. *IMPORTANT* the password you pasted into the text box will disappear, but it will NOT display anything in the console - this is by design. Close the icon list by clicking the arrow button again, then press Enter. If everything was done correctly you should see a message that says you have logged in.
- Paste the following command into the console using the same method you did for the password and then click Enter. **Please make sure you are copying the entire command, starting with the word "bash."
- You will be prompted to log into your Switch account. Enter the email address you used for your Switch account.
- You will be prompted to enter your password for your Switch account. Type in your password. *please note, Vultr will not display your password but be assured it is being entered. Click Enter. **if you are struggling to enter your password correctly, open the clipboard feature in Vultr and enter the password in there so you can visualize it. Click Paste and then close the clipboard and hit Enter.
- You will then be prompted to name your node. We suggest naming it the same as your vultr server name. Click Enter.
- The server should show that configuration is complete and you are ready to run your node.
- You have completed your VPS setup for one node. Repeat this process for each node.
*NOTE* Using the Snapshot feature through Vultr is not supported for running Switch Nodes.
Make sure you confirm your nodes have been set up correctly by reviewing this article:
How do I know my Node is running on my VPS? – Switch (switchrewardcard.com)
*NOTE* You are unable to set up a VPS if you are using a VPN (Virtual Private Network)